UK news

Euro 2020: Coach arrested over racist post to Rashford admits he ‘may have sent tweet while drunk’

The children’s football coach arrested over tweeting racist abuse towards England star Marcus Rashford after the Three Lions’ defeat to Italy at the Euros has admitted that he may have sent the message while drunk.

Nick Scott, 50, originally denied sending the vile message after the England striker missed a penalty in Sunday’s heartbreaking final at Wembley, claiming that his Twitter account had been hacked. But he has now admitted he may have ‘unknowingly’ sent the offensive remarks while drunk. 

Scott, from Powick, near Worcester, has also begged for Manchester United star Rashford’s forgiveness, revealing that he benefitted from the England player’s free meals campaign. He also denied he is a racist, saying he is a ‘quarter black South African’ and had married a German. 

Scott told The Sun: ‘I was hammered at the time and don’t remember doing it. But if I did I want Marcus to know that I’m truly sorry and I apologise sincerely. After everything he’s done for my kids and all the other kids in the country with the free school meals.

‘He’s absolutely brilliant. He’s helped my family and I can’t thank him enough.’ 

It previously emerged that Scott was once married to ‘Lotto Gran’ Susanne Hinte, a healthcare worker who famously tried to claim a £33million jackpot by saying she’d put her winning ticket in the washing machine. 

They had a child together but had separated before she became notorious for having contacted Camelot in January 2016 to claim a share of a £66million jackpot. He was quoted at the time as saying that he could claim half of the winnings, as they were still legally married. But Camelot rejected the grandmother-of-four’s claim. 

Nick Scott, 50, originally denied sending the vile message after the England striker missed a penalty in Sunday’s heartbreaking final at Wembley, and later claimed that his Twitter account had been hacked 

But he has now admitted he may have 'unknowingly' sent the offensive remarks while drunk. Scott, from Powick, near Worcester, has also begged for Manchester United star Rashford's forgiveness, revealing that he benefitted from the England player's free meals campaign

But he has now admitted he may have ‘unknowingly’ sent the offensive remarks while drunk. Scott, from Powick, near Worcester, has also begged for Manchester United star Rashford’s forgiveness, revealing that he benefitted from the England player’s free meals campaign

England's Bukayo Saka applauds fans after the Euro 2020 final against Italy at Wembley Stadium on Sunday night

England’s Bukayo Saka applauds fans after the Euro 2020 final against Italy at Wembley Stadium on Sunday night

Saka is consoled by Gareth Southgate following the penalty shootout in the Euro 2020 final at Wembley on Sunday night

Saka is consoled by Gareth Southgate following the penalty shootout in the Euro 2020 final at Wembley on Sunday night

‘Dozens’ of people are being investigated by police for racist tweets about the England team and five have been arrested 

Nineteen-year-old Bukayo Saka is inconsolable after failing to score his penalty kick and handing victory to the Italians on Sunday night

Nineteen-year-old Bukayo Saka is inconsolable after failing to score his penalty kick and handing victory to the Italians on Sunday night

Dozens of people are being investigated for racist tweets about England’s Euro 2020 stars, police chiefs said today as they revealed five people have now been arrested.

The UK Football Policing Unit provided an update on its investigation following abusive posts targeting Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka in the wake of the Three Lions’ defeat on penalties to Italy in Sunday’s final.

Three of the suspects have already been publicly identified – plasterer Brad Pretty, 49, from Folkestone, Kent; estate agent Andrew Bone, 37, from Sale, Cheshire; and children’s football coach Nick Scott, 50, from Powick, Worcestershire.

A fourth suspect, a 37-year-old man from Ashton-upon-Mersey in Greater Manchester, was then arrested yesterday, officials said, before a fifth, a 42-year-old man from Runcorn was then detained by police in Cheshire today.

Twitter said it had removed more than 1,000 posts in the 24 hours during and after the match, and suspended a number of accounts for violating its rules. Facebook said it too had quickly removed abusive comments on its platform and Instagram. 

Now, he is the one in the spotlight for allegedly tweeting minutes after England’s penalty shoot-out loss to Italy on Sunday. 

The tweet linked to Mr Scott said: ‘Marcus Rashford that MBE needs burning ya fake. Pack them bags and get to ya own country.’

The roofer initially denied being responsible for the abuse and claimed that his account had been hacked. He said: ‘The first I learned about it was… when I woke up. I’m seeing my solicitor. I don’t know who hacked me.’

It is unclear who posted another message on his Twitter profile, two hours after the football ended, which read: ‘I need to apologise to Marcus Rashford. I’m still very angry, but not with you.’

Scott’s message was one of several racist remarks targeted at the England stars who missed penalties. The following day, a mural to Rashford in his home city of Manchester was also defaced by racist graffiti.

Ms Hinte’s daughter, Natasha, 33, said: ‘Nick was a decent step-dad to me. I remember him taking me to see Wolves on the community coach and buying me a shirt with my name on the back.

‘It is not what I would have expected from him but I can’t really comment as I have not had any contact with him for about 20 years.’

Mrs Hinte, a mother of two, died in 2017 after suffering a heart attack at her home in Worcester aged 49.

Her daughter subsequently won five figure damages from The Sun newspaper who had used ‘revenge porn’ pictures of her in the aftermath of the Lotto scandal.   

No social media network has revealed how many posts about the England team have been reported to them as racist over the past few days, and have not responded to requests from MailOnline to reveal those numbers.

Twitter says it has deleted more than, 1,000 posts but not how many were reported to its moderators for racist abuse.

However, research by the Centre for Countering Digital Hate found that Facebook-owned Instagram had taken down just six of 106 accounts reported by users for sending racial abuse. 

It was revealed that Saka, Rashford and Sancho will be asked by the Football Association whether they want to see any of those who posted racist abuse prosecuted. 

Their views will be passed to investigating officers, though police and the CPS may still charge suspects even if the footballers do not want criminal cases to go ahead.

It came as the Centre for Countering Digital Hate said Instagram had taken down just six of 106 accounts reported by users for sending racial abuse, while the i reported it allowed 42 comments likening the three footballers to monkeys and 17 posts containing the N-word to remain on the platform.

Ms Hinte (pictured), a healthcare worker, married Mr Scott in 1999. She died of a heart attack in 2017

Ms Hinte's daughter, Natasha, 33, told MailOnline about growing up with Mr Scott as her stepfather

Mr Scott, 50, from Powick, near Worcester, married healthcare worker Ms  Hinte (pictured) in 1999. The mother of two, died in 2017 after suffering a heart attack at aged 49

England manager Gareth Southgate and Bukayo Saka look dejected after the final

England manager Gareth Southgate and Bukayo Saka look dejected after the final

England captain Harry Kane sent a powerful social media message to those who sent racist abuse to Saka, Rashford and Sancho after they failed to score spot-kicks in England's agonising 3-2 defeat on penalties against Italy

England captain Harry Kane sent a powerful social media message to those who sent racist abuse to Saka, Rashford and Sancho after they failed to score spot-kicks in England’s agonising 3-2 defeat on penalties against Italy

General view inside the stadium as the England and Italy players take a knee in support of the Black Lives Matter Movement prior to the UEFA Euro 2020 Championship Final

General view inside the stadium as the England and Italy players take a knee in support of the Black Lives Matter Movement prior to the UEFA Euro 2020 Championship Final 

Twitter, Facebook and other social media platforms have faced calls for more tools to tackle and block abusive messages and stricter censure of users who abuse others.

England captain Harry Kane sent a powerful social media message to those who sent racist abuse to Saka, Rashford and Sancho after they failed to score spot-kicks in England’s agonising 3-2 defeat on penalties against Italy, writing on Twitter: ‘We don’t want you’.

Kane said: ‘Three lads who were brilliant all summer had the courage to step up & take a pen when the stakes were high. They deserve support & backing not the vile racist abuse they’ve had since last night.

‘If you abuse anyone on social media you’re not an England fan and we don’t want you.’

England manager Gareth Southgate said the racist abuse aimed at the players was unacceptable, adding: ‘It’s just not what we stand for. We have been a beacon of light in bringing people together, in people being able to relate to the national team, and the national team stands for everybody and so that togetherness has to continue.

‘We have shown the power our country has when it does come together and has that energy and positivity together. It’s my decision who takes the penalties, it’s not a case of players not volunteering or more experienced players backing out.’ 

 Source link

Back to top button