- Snap has been staffing up as it looks to best competitors in areas like augmented reality and video.
- Insider analyzed public work-visa data to see how much Snap pays in the US for certain roles.
- The tech company has offered salaries from $59,000 to $500,000 for various roles.
- See more stories on Insider’s business page.
Snap, the company behind Snapchat, has been on a growth tear in recent months.
In the first quarter, the company reported its highest year-over-year revenue and daily active user growth rates in three years. And it’s been staffing up to support its broader ambitions in areas like augmented reality, short-form video, and original shows. The company now has approximately 4,000 employees in 15 countries around the world.
Snap said in May that it’s committed to paying all employees a livable wage that “contributes to healthy work-life integration and to the local economy in which we work.” It offers a minimum of $15,000 in equity grants to new hires, and said its baseline annual pay rate for employees at its headquarters in Santa Monica is $70,000. The company has offered lower wages to some prospective hires in locations like Bartlesville, Oklahoma and New York, New York, according to data reviewed by Insider.
Insider analyzed disclosures released by the US Office of Foreign Labor Certification on work visas to shed light on what the Snapchat maker pays for certain roles.
The public data show how much the tech company offered to pay foreign staffers it sought to hire in the US for jobs including product, marketing, research, and engineering roles.
It includes wages from 128 foreign-labor-certification applications that were submitted by Snap, and certified between October 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021.
Most of the jobs were based in New York, Santa Monica, San Francisco, Seattle, or Mountain View.
The wages in the disclosure data are the minimum amounts the company declared in foreign-labor-certification applications that it pays for certain roles, according to US Department of Labor documentation. The salaries are based on the average compensation that similar employees with comparable qualifications in each job and industry are paid, which is known as the prevailing wage.
Companies may pay employees more than the figures reflected in this data or compensate them in additional ways, like through stock options and grants.
Based on the data, Snap offered in late 2020 and 2021 annual base salaries ranging from $59,000 to $500,000 for various roles.
Some of the applications included salary ranges, rather than a single annual salary, for a given role. For example, Snap included a pay rate of $78,000 to $150,000 a year for one software engineer role. We included these ranges below. And, in cases where Snap submitted multiple applications for a particular job, such as a level III software engineer, we included the median wage rates for the role.
Snap declined to comment.
Data and research
Snap has offered staffers in data and research roles base salaries between $67,000 and $175,000 per year. The positions included:
- Applied research scientist (3): $109,762 to $165,000
- Applied research scientist (4): $130,811 to $165,000
- Data analyst, customer operations: $67,205 to $112,200
- Group analyst: $67,766 to $90,000
- Data scientist, product (3): $160,000
- Research engineer (4): $137,197 to $175,000
- Research scientist (4): median rate from $142,805.50 to $165,000
Snap has offered staffers in engineering roles base salaries between $59,000 and $215,000 per year. The positions included:
- Interactive engineer (4): $73,299 to $120,000
- Machine learning engineer (3): median rate from $78,811 to $140,000
- Machine learning engineer (4): median rate from $139,911.50 to $170,000
- Manager, machine learning engineering: $196,290 to $219,450
- Manager, software engineering: median rate from $201,074 to $230,000
- Quality assurance engineer (3): $67,766 to $130,000
- Quality engineer (4): $59,114 to $140,000
- Security engineer (2): $160,000
- Security engineer (3): median rate from $85,113.50 to $155,000
- Security engineer (4): $121,160 to $155,000
- Software engineer (2): median of $140,000
- Software engineer (3): median rate from $78,811 to $150,000
- Software engineer (4): median rate from $134,098 to $190,000
- Software engineer (5): median rate from $148,886.50 to $210,000.00
- Software engineer, Android (3): $78,125 to $140,000
- Software engineer (Lens Studio): $160,000
- Software engineer (Snap Games): $190,000
- Systems engineer (4): $145,725 to $150,000
Marketing and sales
Snap has offered staffers in marketing and sales roles base salaries between $78,000 and $110,000 per year. The positions included:
- Account executive: $100,536 to $110,000
- Account executive manager: $100,536 to $110,000
- Client manager: $78,874 to $92,500
Snap has offered staffers in product roles base salaries between $77,000 and $500,000 per year. The positions included:
- Product manager (3): $77,875 to $175,000
- VP, product: $208,000 to $500,000
- Manager, Snappables: $145,000
Overall, Snap has offered staffers in product roles base salaries between $59,000 and $500,000 per year. Other positions included:
- Senior manager, law enforcement operations: $174,262 to $195,000